Google+ House Revivals: How to Make an Apron from a Recycled Skirt

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

How to Make an Apron from a Recycled Skirt

Here is a fun way to give new life to an old skirt. This project is so quick and easy that you may decide to recycle all your old skirts into aprons!


Or, in my case, recycle a cute thrifted garment that was never. ever. ever. going to fit.  I'm pretty sure I haven't worn this size since I was twelve.

The skirt was just too darling to pass up,  so I bought it and stuffed it into a closet for a year.  Then, as I was unpacking boxes in our beach house, I realized I didn't own an apron that was newer than twenty years old.  Sad, I know. We entertain a lot at the beach house, and I needed some "company worthy" aprons.  I decided this cute little skirt would make a cute little apron -- and because it's a skirt, there is enough fabric for it to "wrap" (not all the way around, mind you -- if it wrapped all the way around, I would wear it as a skirt).

Here is how  to recycle a skirt into an apron:


Begin by cutting out or picking out the back seam and zipper.  I cut mine out to save time.  Because I planned to cut the part of the waistband away that had the buttonhole, I actually ended up cutting away about two inches of fabric.  It doesn't really matter how much you cut away -- it  just depends on how much apron coverage you want and how the garment is constructed.  Just be sure you cut away the same amount on each side, so your apron won't be lop-sided.


Pick out a few inches of the waistband on either side in the back to free up the apron sides for hemming.

Hem the sides of the apron, finger press, tuck the sides back into the apron and top-stitch.   Leave the ends of the waistband open.


Cut two lengths of pretty ribbon and tuck into the ends of the waistband and top-stitch closed.


I used extra long ribbon (it's actually vintage blanket binding) so they could be tied into a flirty bow in front.


This is a pretty quick project -- it will take you longer to set up and put away your sewing machine than to whip up this apron, so you might want to make several at one time.  You can even give them as gifts. Happy sewing (and cooking)!




This post is being linked to the following lovely places:

Tip Junkie handmade projects
A Crafty Soiree
TDC Before and After